Thursday, October 26, 2006

Copy Magic + Alcatraz 2 Update

 

Time for a Story Prompt:

Copy Magic:  A person who can split themselves into two people, each part focusing on one aspect of themselves.  For instance, they can split off their compassion--leaving behind a version of themselves which is compassionless, and one that is very compassionate. 

This is a cool idea I came up with a few weeks back that has been rattling in my brain.  It seems like this could be a very interesting magic system--one based around the ability to focus on various parts of yourself.  You could use it for division of labor, or for specialization.

Obviously, I'm not the first person to think of something like this.  I believe there was a Michael Keaton movie a few years back that involved him cloning himself, and each clone having a different version of his personality. 

I honestly can't remember if the movie was any good, but the concept was interesting.  Then, of course, there's multiple man, who made an appearance in the latest X-Men movie.

What intrigues me about this idea, then, is not the pure originality, but the versatility.  I think that it has far more potential than has been used.  If you could slice off a part of yourself that had ALL of your artistic talent, and not much else to interfere with it, what could that focused piece of you do?  And, what would the other piece--the one with no artistic talent at all--act like?

I'll probably end up using this idea in a story eventually, but--like I always say--ideas are cheap.  I'm not the first one to have this particular one, even. 

It's how you use them that's important.

In other news, if you've read this far, then you might want to know that Alcatraz 2 was sent off to my editor and agent today.  You know what that means!  Alpha reader time.

If you're one of those whom I know in person, and whom I've trusted in previously for alpha reads, feel free to contact me and ask for this one.  I doubt I'll have any physical copies, however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home