Monday, October 15, 2012

Updates, Contests, Random Links

This week's Writing Excuses episode features Janci Patterson and talks about writing contemporary YA fiction. I mentioned Janci's book CHASING THE SKIP a couple of weeks ago. She has a lot of great insights, so give it a listen!

I've got a rather random collection of links for you today. First up, my friend Brent Weeks' book THE BLACK PRISM is on sale as an ebook for $1.99 with all vendors—and the sale ends today. Now, I actually haven't read this book yet since I've been so busy, but my assistant Peter says it's the best book he's read in the last year aside from a certain book that's not out yet. He thinks its characters and magic system will really appeal to people who like my books, and I trust his judgment. The sequel is also out already and he says it's just as good. There is a bit of a content warning, so do keep that in mind.

Badali, the company that makes the official Elantris, Mistborn, Wheel of Time, Kingkiller Chronicle, and Middle-earth jewelry is holding a costume contest (with costumes based on those series) until November 2nd with some cool prizes. For details, check out their page. I look forward to seeing what cool costumes you come up with. (I'm not judging but I'll be sure to look at some photos.)

My friend Stacy Whitman who's the Editorial Director at Tu Books, which publishes fiction for kids and teens that features multicultural characters and settings, let me know that Tu is holding a writing contest. The NEW VISIONS AWARD will be given for a middle grade or young adult fantasy, science fiction, or mystery novel by a writer of color. The contest has been running since June and will finish up at the end of October. For more details, see their site.

Also, another reminder that my friend and frequent artist Isaac Stewart has the Mistborn Feruchemical Table fine art print available at InkWing (which also does my T-shirts). Limited edition numbered prints signed by me and Isaac are not yet sold out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mel Chesley said...

Wow, you're right. Lots of random links today. :D

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home