Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Tweets December 14–31

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
You guys want to do a writing exercise together? I've been wanting to do some dialogue practice. We could each do 5 pages on a theme, and...

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
...and I could post my five for you to see, then look at some of the better ones on writing excuses and talk over strengths/weaknesses.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
Write a 5-10 page two character dialogue with no tags or blocking. Dialogue only. Try to evoke character, conflict, and plot with this only.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
Include: A problem, 2 distinct individuals, a fantasy/sf element. Avoid: long monologues, exposition. Use context, not explanations.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
Inspiration: http://bit.ly/DEda8 Be done Sunday. I'll try & get the TWG Forum back up for posting. If not, post on your blog and send a link

shnar Tue Dec 14
@brandonsandrson as in Script format? No prose? Or simple prose but mostly dialog?

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@shnar I'm thinking all dialogue. Not really script format, but like it. See the inspiration I just posted.

BrandonPSA Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson humor me... define tags or blocking

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@BrandonPSA No prose. No "He said." No "He walked to the door." Dialogue only.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
Another excellent example, this one from @JRVogt: http://bit.ly/g1Pp9e Make yours shorter if you want. 5 pgs is just what I'll post.

BrandonPSA Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson also... define "page".. maybe a charcacter count/page

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@BrandonPSA Basically, whatever you feel like and whatever works. I don't care about strict page counts.

TymCon Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson Can we do it in a script format. E.g: Cian: X just stabbed me, Owen: Nice.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@TymCon Sure.

RantingDragon Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson Just so I understand it right: only dialogue? So not: "Blah blah," said Brandon, eying the huge Trolloc. Only the blah?

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@rantingdragon Yup. You've got it.

Ganymede_mj Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson love too but jumping a plane also just finished latest wot loved it u r doing the series proud

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@Ganymede_mj Thanks! Have a good flight.

amurderofcrows Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson I'm game. Where do we post?

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@amurderofcrows I'll either get a forum for you (watch my tweets) or just email it/post it to your blog and email me a link.

shnar Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson I just saw your 'Mistborn Llama' pic, and still laughing. What's the story behind it?

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@shnar It was the name of my old writing group.

MaryRobinette Tue Dec 14
Hey! @scalzi just promised all Campbell winners cookies on his podcast. Chocolate chip, please.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@MaryRobinette What about those of us @Scalzi himself beat for the Campbell? Do we get cookies too?

MaryRobinette Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson I think that's only fair. I don't know if @scalzi will agree with me.

1stRainbowRose Tue Dec 14
@brandonsandrson Just to check, who are you wanting to do this with? Just anyone or someone specific?

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@1stRainbowRose Anybody who posts.

pale_blue_sky Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson Silly question, but how many words do 5 pages generally equate to?

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@pale_blue_sky 1000ish.

YetiStomper Tue Dec 14
@BrandonSandrson I'm not sure what that is an example of but I look forward to reading the rest of that. @JRVogt

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 14
@YetiStomper Read my tweets right before that one.

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
Writing Exercise: Dialogue. http://3.ly/yuTt

Dreadlord617 Fri Dec 17
@BrandonSandrson: Google has judged you and found you 74% basic, 24% intermediate and 1% advanced: http://is.gd/iSKmZ :P

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
@Dreadlord617 Ha. Not surprising. My writing philosophy is toward clear prose that uses complex structure/words for effect, not as the norm

missionmobilizr Fri Dec 17
@brandonsandrson I'm reading Alcatraz vs the Shattered Lens. p153 almost made me yawn. I held it off until p154.

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
@missionmobilizr The only time I'm happy to hear someone say they yawned reading one of my books.

mathachew Fri Dec 17
Finished the #Mistborn trilogy. It's hard to describe it in just one word: Amazing. Addictive. Satisfying. Brilliant. @BrandonSandrson

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
@mathachew Thank you!

GoneBlack212 Thu Dec 16
@BrandonSandrson If we don't have a blog, and wanted to participate in this, where would we be instructed to post our endeavors? Thank you!

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
@GoneBlack212 Go ahead and email them to me.

DKoles Thu Dec 16
@brandonsandrson was the title "Towers of Midnight" in reference to the place that Mat is heading to rescue Moiraine from?

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
@DKoles In part, it was. That's only one part, though.

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 17
Wow, only two days until koloss head munching day. Man. Suppose I ought to plan something.

BrandonSandrson Sat Dec 18
Took Christmas presents to neighbors w/Limeboy. Every time: door opens, & before they say hi, he walks in and starts playing w/their stuff.

BrandonSandrson Sat Dec 18
On my way to my last signing of the year. Bountiful utah B&N. 2-4.

BrandonSandrson Sun Dec 19
Thank you for the birthday wishes, all. And a happy Koloss Head Munching day to all of you.

BrandonSandrson Wed Dec 22
I will post my dialogue pages soon. Used six of yours in writing excuses episodes. First airs next week.

BrandonSandrson Tue Dec 28
My dialogue writing exercise turned into a short story, "I Hate Dragons." We also talked about others' on the podcast. http://3.ly/xUGm

BrandonSandrson Thu Dec 30
If you've bought any of my books on Kindle, lending is now enabled for them. http://3.ly/fRyn

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
I posted the panel schedule for next month's Superstars Writing Seminar. It's three days packed with great info. http://3.ly/uUWE

robisonwells Thu Dec 30
I only got 1400 words today, but I FINALLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM THAT'S BEEN PLAGUING ME FOR A MONTH! #thankgoodness #aboutfreakingtime

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@robisonwells Wow. Nice book, but I foresee lots of complaints in the future about that ending, my friend...

teunvink Fri Dec 31
Finished Towers of Midnight. @BrandonSandrson did an amazing job continuing Robert Jordan's work! Can't wait for Memory of Light #WoT

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@teunvink Thanks!

TheOfficeTroll Fri Dec 31
I'm reading Alvatraz vs the Knights of Crystallia. Pages 188-189 make me hate the author. Curse you, @BrandonSandrson

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@TheOfficeTroll It's not my fault I'm evil.

IronHouseDvorak Fri Dec 31
@BrandonSandrson I don't suppose you have anything new publishing soon? ... loving your books!

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@IronHouseDvorak Afraid not. Next book from me is next fall.

hungryturnip Fri Dec 31
@BrandonSandrson hey got a nook eReader for Christmas any WOT-like recommendations? (have all of your stuff). Reading Brent Weeks right now.

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@hungryturnip WoT-like? Hm. There's really not anything completely like it. Steven Erikson would probably be my first suggestion.

rahvin1 Thu Dec 30
@BrandonSandrson @PeterAhlstrom Congratulations on being #73 on Amazons Top 100 for the year 2010 with The Way of Kings #TWoK

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@rahvin1 Wow. Didn't know abotu that. Thanks.

floydobaggins Thu Dec 30
@BrandonSandrson I don't get to write many book reviews. But from a fan - http://wp.me/p17rD5-4f. Happy New Year, Mr Sanderson!

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@floydobaggins Thank you very much for the kind review, and for spreading the word on the book.

wutdafuhk Thu Dec 30
@BrandonSandrson Got Towers of Midnight for Christmas! Thanks for continuing the saga. Need MOVIE! #thewheeloftime #bestseriesofalltime

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@wutdafuhk Movie is in the works. We're all doing what we can.

japadua Thu Dec 30
As I make my way through @BrandonSandrson books I find myself thinking, "How do i become this guy's friend?" They are just fantastic!

BrandonSandrson Fri Dec 31
@japadua Yes, my friends are fantastic. Oh, wait. You meant the books. I guess those are too. (Thanks for the kind words.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home