Monday, July 30, 2012

Hugo Voting Deadline Tomorrow + Updates

Somehow I missed announcing that Writing Excuses Season Six was nominated for a Hugo Award in the Best Related Work category. The voting deadline is tomorrow (Tuesday the 31st), and you can vote if you are a supporting or attending member of this year's World Science Fiction convention in Chicago. Other nominations from the Writing Excuses crew in the various categories are Mary Robinette Kowal's novella "Kiss Me Twice" and Howard Tayler's Schlock Mercenary graphic story volume Force Multiplication.

Last week the Writing Excuses podcast had a microcasting episode touching on these topics:

  • How do you deal with bad reviews?
  • How do you apply Brandon's magic system rules to science fiction?
  • Dan, will you do the marshmallow voice for us again?
  • How do you keep tension high without exhausting the reader?
  • You've made your manuscript as good as you know how to. Now you need to make it even better, based on feedback. What do you do?
  • Any tips on creating suspension of disbelief?
  • How do you deal with annoying fans?

This week's episode is another one of our "project in depth" episodes; this time we cover Dan Wells's latest novel, The Hollow City. (Earlier we did the same thing with my novel The Way of Kings, Mary's novel Glamour in Glass, and Howard's graphic novel volume Force Multiplication.) Please note that all of these in-depth episodes necessarily contain SPOILERS, so it's best if you read the work in question ahead of time!

The most recent ALCATRAZ VERSUS THE EVIL LIBRARIANS annotation covers the final chapter. Just one annotation left to go.

Inside Mac Games has an interview with me on the subject of the upcoming Mistborn: Birthright video game. I also did a phone interview for the Chattanooga Times Free Press a couple weeks ago while my assistant was driving me to the airport for my flight to LibertyCon (which was a blast, and it was great seeing so many of you!). The transcript of that interview is here.

My assistant also uploaded another Twitter posts archive. If you haven't been paying attention to my Twitter or Facebook feeds, you may have missed the announcement that I've turned in the final draft of A MEMORY OF LIGHT to Harriet. Copyedits and the rest of the production process remain to be done after this. I'll have more of my thoughts in a longer post sometime this week, maybe tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Strong said...

My neighbor suggested I read the Mistborn Trilogy. He said I would LOVE it. I have never read 300 pages in my life and just passed that milestone. I have a simple question. Who is writting the italicized paragraph befor each chapter? They seem to be a different person. What is the purpose?

5:49 PM  
Blogger Nancy Strong said...

My neighbor suggested I read the Mistborn Trilogy. He said I would LOVE it. I have never read 300 pages in my life and just passed that milestone. I have a simple question. Who is writting the italicized paragraph befor each chapter? They seem to be a different person. What is the purpose?

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home