Friday, September 22, 2006

Illusion+ Annotation

 

All right!  There's a new Mistborn annotation up.  It's a longer one, with some good info, so I hope you enjoy it.

In other news, I've been working on a forum banner for myself to use.  I've felt so left out, since I don't have a cool, shiny forum banner.  Well, I need not be ashamed any longer!  At least not for that!  Okay, maybe I still need to be ashamed about it, but at least I have one!

I think it looks kind of nice, though I think it's not quite balanced.  I considered throwing up an endorsement on it--something from Orson Scott Card or Robin Hobb talking about my work--but decided that would just be TOO blatant.

Also, yesterday, I had an idea for a story, and I thought I'd throw it up as an Idea of the Day.

Idea of the DayWrite about a species who communicates through illusion.  They craft illusions, either psychically or magically, that explain their thoughts and emotions.

Difficulty: You'd have to have a good reason why they don't just throw up illusions of text.  Why didn't they develop a written language?  How detailed are their illusions?  Is the viewpoint character one of these creatures, or a person visiting from the outside world?  

The thing that made me think of this was the concept of language and communication.  I like stories about aliens who communicate in odd ways--such as communicating through scent, or the like.  These make for very interesting settings.   I thought, "what haven't I seen before?" and this kind of popped into my head.  Maybe it's because I saw The Illusionist--the movie--on Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home